As the manager of the Research and Data Management Support Team in ISTS, I am responsible for the development and support of the University’s Research Systems as well as the development and support of the University’s corporate databases and data management solutions that underpin Research, Learning and Teaching and Corporate applications.
My role involves:
- Leading and managing a team of software developers and database administrators
- Collaborating with key business stakeholders in the development, support and enhancement of administrative information systems and specialised niche solutions underpinning research at UniSA
- Developing, maintaining and ensuring the high availability of Corporate Databases which support the University’s wide variety of applications
- Working with University colleagues to develop a sustainable model for the provision of research data storage, data management and processing services for researchers
- Assess emerging technologies and software for suitable use within the University environment
- Managing small to large projects to deliver customised research systems, big data and data management solutions
- Providing input into strategic planning and governance structures
- Representing and collaborating with colleagues, industry partners and vendors on behalf of the University’s research and data management activities.
The Research and Data Management Support (RDMS) Team is responsible for:
- Development and support of Corporate Research Administrative Systems and niche research solutions utilising both conventional and open source platforms
- Big Data processing and Analytical solutions
- University corporate databases and data management solutions
- Database infrastructure software including enterprise data monitoring, data integration, data security and scheduling tools
- Promotion of IT capabilities for research and data management internally to UniSA researchers and HDR students so that they are aware of and make best use of IT services for research.
The Research and Data Management Support Team is involved in a number of significant Research Systems and Infrastructure Projects, many in collaboration with key business systems owners, internal and external research groups as well as industry partner organisations, both national and international. Our current activities include:
- Collaborative research project with national and international researchers and industry partners to bring together then cross-link data collections for the Free Library on Water & Environmental Data (FLOWED).
- Expansion and refinement of the AskResearch Hub and Research Data Management Planning facilities
- Customised solutions utilising the Oracle Golden Gate data integration tool and the Oracle Data Integration product
- Collaboration with key business stakeholders to design and implement a new University solution to enhance the Research Pipeline commencing from the point of inception including capture and tracking of concepts and ideas
- Enhanced analytical reporting capabilities with further expansion into big data processing.
Qualifications and Professional associations
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration and Information Systems, San Francisco State University
- Professional Management Program, University of Adelaide
- Technical Management Committee for ReDBox/Mint
- Gartner Business Intelligence, Analytics & Information Management Summit Advisory Board (2011 – 2015)